Saturday, December 31, 2011

The Republic of Pemberley

Came across a fun website for the Austen-obsessed:  The Republic of Pemberley.  In the Republic,
We, all of us, remember only too well the great relief we felt upon discovering this haven for Jane Austen Addicts. If your eyes did not widen, if you did not gasp in recognition, if you did not experience a frisson of excitement when you discovered a whole campful of soldiers - er - a whole websiteful of fellow Jane Austen Fanatics, then this place may not be for you. We are The Truly Obsessed here and have been known to talk for weeks about Jane Austen's spelling quirks and Mr. Darcy's coat ("No, no - the green one.")
In addition to discussion forums on a variety of Austen-related topics, there is a wonderful and extensive jokes page, from which:

Pride and  Prejudice in One Minuet!
  • It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune must be want of a wife.
  • "She is tolerable, but not handsome enough to tempt me."
  • "I am all astonishment. How long has she has she been such a favorite? -- and pray, when am I to wish you joy?"
  • "No, my dear, you had better go on horseback, because it seems likely to rain; and then you must stay all night."
  • "It is my cousin, Mr. Collins, who when I am dead, may turn you all out of the house."
  • "I had not thought Mr. Darcy so bad as this -- though I have never liked him."
  • "Engaged to Mr. Collins! My dear Charlotte--impossible!"
  • "Why should they try to influence him? [Mr. Bingley] They can only wish his happiness; and if he is attached to me, no other woman can secure it."
  • "Neither of us perform to strangers."
  • "I must tell you how ardently I admire and love you."
  • "This will not do," said Elizabeth "you will never be able to make both of them good." "For my part, I am inclined to believe it all Mr. Darcy."
  • "Oh yes! -- If one could but go to Brighton!"
  • "I am grieved indeed," cried Darcy; "grieved -- shocked."
  • "It is possible?" cried Elizabeth "Can it be possible that he will marry her?"
  • "But gracious me! I quite forgot! I ought not to have said a word about it. I promised them so faithfully. What will Wickham say?"
  • "'Tis too much," she added, "by far too much. I do not deserve it. Oh! Why is not everbody as happy?"
  • "Not so hasty if you please."
  • "You are too generous to trifle with me. If your feelings are still what they were last April, tell me at once."
  • "Oh Lizzy! It cannot be. I know how much you dislike him."
  • "But in such cases as these a good memory is unpardonable."
  • "If any young men come for Kitty or Mary, send them in, for I am quite at leisure."
Also from the jokes page:
  • Jane Austen Top Ten Song List ("Lord, It's Hard to be Humble"--Mr. Darcy)
  • Jane Austen Punishments List (A visit to a library with Miss Bates)
  • Answering Machine Messages of Jane Austen Characters ("I am most seriously displeased to have missed your call. I will return it at my earliest convenience (yours is of no consequence) for I must have my share in the conversation."--Rosings Park
If you're an Austen fan, give it a look; you won't regret it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment